What’s Behind Juniper Networks’ Stock’s Strong Underperformance Of The S&P Since 2017?

+28.85%
Upside
26.38
Market
33.99
Trefis
JNPR: Juniper Networks logo
JNPR
Juniper Networks

Juniper Networks Inc. (NYSE: JNPR) stock price lost around 3% from $28.50 in 2017 end to around $27 currently, primarily due to unfavorable changes in its P/S multiple. During this period, the company also witnessed a 2% drop in revenues, and despite a drop in its outstanding share count, the company’s stock price has remained roughly at the same level it was five years ago. Additionally, over the same period, the S&P 500 returned around 45%, meaning that Juniper stock has strongly underperformed the index since 2017-end.

In our interactive dashboard, Why Juniper Networks Stock Moved: JNPR Stock Has Lost 3% Since 2017, we break down the factors behind this move.

(A) JNPR’s Total Revenue has decreased 2% from $5.03 billion in FY 2017 to $4.93 billion on an LTM basis

  • JNPR’s total revenue initially dropped from $5.03 billion in FY 2017 to as low as $4.4 billion in FY 2019 and 2020.
  • Sales have since recovered to $4.7 billion in FY 2021, and currently stand even higher at $4.9 billion on an LTM basis.
  • The company develops and markets networking products, including routers, switches, network management software, network security products, and software-defined networking technology.
  • Product sales made up 65% of the company’s total sales in FY 2021, bringing in $3.08 billion, with services sales making up the remaining 35%.
  • For additional details about JNPR’s revenues and comparison to peers, see Juniper Networks (JNPR) Revenue Comparison
Relevant Articles
  1. Can Juniper Networks Stock Continue Performing Better Than The S&P?
  2. Can Juniper Networks Stock Turn Around After A 10% Drop Last Month?
  3. Forecast Of The Day: Juniper Switching Revenues
  4. These Reasonably Valued Stocks Are A Solid Play On The Cloud And 5G
  5. Forecast Of The Day: Juniper’s Switching Revenue
  6. Cisco, Juniper: Big Earnings From Cloud Players Bode Well For Internet Infrastructure Stocks

(B) Revenue per share (RPS) increased 14% from $13.30 in 2017 to $15.21 currently

  • JNPR’s revenue dropped from $5 billion in 2017 to $4.9 billion currently, while the outstanding share count dropped from 378 million in 2017 to around 324 million currently.
  • Due to this, RPS has risen from $13.30 in FY ’17 to $15.21 currently.

(C) Price-To-Sales (P/S) multiple for JNPR rose strongly from 1.8x in 2017 to 2.4x by 2021 end, but has pulled back to 1.8x currently, around the same as its 2017 level

  • JNPR’s P/S multiple rose strongly to around 2.4x by late 2021, on the back of rising investor expectations surrounding increased demand for the company’s products and services.
  • However, due to the current geopolitical tensions and increased economic uncertainty weighing on the broader markets, the P/S multiple has pulled back, currently standing at around 1.8x.
  • For additional details about the company stock returns, and comparison to peers, see Juniper Networks (JNPR) Stock Return Comparison.

What if you’re looking for a more balanced portfolio instead? Our high-quality portfolio and multi-strategy portfolio have beaten the market consistently since the end of 2016.

 Returns Sep 2022
MTD [1]
2022
YTD [1]
2017-22
Total [2]
 JNPR Return -3% -23% -2%
 S&P 500 Return -3% -19% 72%
 Trefis Multi-Strategy Portfolio -3% -18% 225%

[1] Month-to-date and year-to-date as of 9/16/2022
[2] Cumulative total returns since the end of 2016

Invest with Trefis Market Beating Portfolios
See all Trefis Price Estimates