Natural gas prices and the global gas rig count are positively correlated, with a correlation of almost 95%. As natural gas prices fall, the price realizations for oil and gas producing companies also decline. As a result, these companies are forced to pull back their production, implying that they hold back their capital budget for exploration and production. This leads to a sharp drop in the demand for gas rigs worldwide, resulting in a fall in the global gas rig count. In the table below, we show how the plummeting natural gas prices over the last 20-21 months has caused a steep decline in the global gas rig count (US & International).
Have more questions about Chesapeake Energy (NYSE:CHK)? See the links below:
- How Are Crude Oil Prices And Global Oil Rig Count Correlated?
- What Is Chesapeake Energy’s Fundamental Value Based On 2016 Estimated Numbers?
- How Will Chesapeake’s Revenue Move If Crude Oil Prices Rebound To $100 Per Barrel By 2018?
- How Will Chesapeake’s Revenue Move If Crude Oil Prices Average At $50 Per Barrel In 2018?
- How Much Value Will Chesapeake’s Crude Oil & NGLs Operations Add by 2020?
- How Much Value Will Chesapeake’s Natural Gas Operations Add by 2020?
- How Will Chesapeake’s Revenue And EBITDA Grow Over The Next 5 Years?
- By How Much Has Chesapeake’s Revenue And EBITDA Changed Over The Last 4 Years?
- How Has Chesapeake’s Revenue And EBITDA Composition Changed Over The Last 4 Years?
- What Is Chesapeake’s Fundamental Value Based On Expected 2015 Results?
- What Is Chesapeake’s Revenue And EBITDA Breakdown?
- Will Chesapeake See Improved Results In 2019?
- Higher Oil Output And Better Pricing To Drive Chesapeake’s 3Q’18 Results
- Factors That Will Drive Chesapeake Energy’s Value In The Next Two Years
- Chesapeake Q2 Earnings Preview: Commodity Price Strength and Operational Efficiency To Drive Growth
- What Factor Is Driving Chesapeake’s Stock Rally?
- Key Takeaways From Chesapeake’s Q1
1) The purpose of these analyses is to help readers focus on a few important things. We hope such lean communication sparks thinking, and encourages readers to comment and ask questions on the comment section, or email email@example.com
2) Figures mentioned are approximate values to help our readers remember the key concepts more intuitively. For precise figures, please refer to our complete analysis for Chesapeake Energy
View Interactive Institutional Research (Powered by Trefis):