Despite Flat Revenues, Micron Technology Stock Has Doubled Since 2018: Here’s Why
Micron Technology (NASDAQ: MU) stock price rose more than 2x from around $32 in 2018 end to almost $70 currently, primarily due to favorable changes in its P/S multiple. This comes as a surprise as the company has witnessed only a marginal rise in revenues over this period, and a slight drop in the outstanding share count.
In our interactive dashboard, Why Micron Technology Stock Moved: MU Stock Has Gained 118% Since 2018, we break down the factors behind this move.
(A) MU’s Total Revenue has grown just 2.6% from $30.4 billion in 2018 to $31.2 billion on an LTM basis
- MU’s total revenue initially dropped from $30.4 billion in FY ’18 (MU’s fiscal year ends in August) to $21.4 billion in FY ’20, primarily due to a combination of the semiconductor supply glut and the pandemic affecting demand.
- Revenues then surged to $27.7 billion in FY ’21, and currently stand higher at $31.2 billion on an LTM basis.
- The DRAM semiconductor segment makes up the bulk of Micron’s revenues, with $20 billion of the company’s sales coming from DRAM products as of FY ’21, making up over 70% of total revenue.
- For details about MU revenues and comparison to peers, see Micron Technology (MU) Revenue Comparison
- Micron Technology Stock Has Outperformed The S&P Despite Flat Sales Since 2018 – Here’s Why
- What’s Behind Micron Technology Stock’s Strong Outperformance Since 2018?
- Company Of The Day: Micron
- Why Has Micron Technology Stock Returned 2.5x Since 2018 Despite Stagnant Revenue Growth?
- Following Strong Earnings Release, Micron Technology Stock Looks Set To Extend Its Rally
- Company Of The Day: Micron
(B) Revenue per share (RPS) increased 5.5% from $26.38 in 2018 to $27.82 currently
- MU revenue rose from $30.4 billion in 2018 to $31.2 billion currently, while the outstanding share count decreased from 1.2 billion in 2018 to 1.1 billion currently.
- Due to this, RPS has risen around 5.5% from $26.38 in FY ’18 to $27.82 currently.
(C) Price-To-Sales (P/S) multiple for MU rose strongly from 1.2x in 2018 to 3.9x by 2020 end, but has pulled back to 2.5x currently, still more than 2x higher than its 2018 level
- Despite Micron’s inconsistent performance since 2018-end, its P/S multiple increased from 1.2x in 2018 to almost 4x in 2020.
- However, with current supply chain concerns and ongoing geopolitical tensions, the P/S multiple has pulled back and currently stands at around 2.5x.
- For additional details about the company stock returns and comparison to peers, see Micron Technology (MU) Stock Return Comparison.
What if you’re looking for a more balanced portfolio instead? Our high-quality portfolio and multi-strategy portfolio have beaten the market consistently since the end of 2016.
|S&P 500 Return||-5%||-10%||92%|
|Trefis Multi-Strategy Portfolio||-6%||-14%||240%|
 Month-to-date and year-to-date as of 4/25/2022
 Cumulative total returns since the end of 2016
Invest with Trefis Market Beating Portfolios
See all Trefis Price Estimates