F5 Networks Inc. (NASDAQ: FFIV) stock price gained 44% from $139 in 2019 end, to around $200 currently, primarily due to favorable changes in its P/S multiple. Additionally, the company witnessed a rise in revenue over this period, and revenue per share has increased, despite a rise in the outstanding share count.
In our interactive dashboard, Why F5 Networks Stock Moved: FFIV Stock Has Gained 44% Since 2019, we break down the factors behind this move.
(A) FFIV’s Total Revenue has grown 19% from $2.2 billion in 2019 to $2.7 billion on an LTM basis
- FFIV’s total revenue steadily rose from $2.2 billion in FY ’19 to $2.6 billion in FY ’21, and currently stands at $2.7 billion on an LTM basis (FFIV’s fiscal year ends in September).
- F5 derives its revenues almost evenly from both, products and services, with the products segment defining more of the company’s overall growth during the past few years.
- For details about FFIV revenues and comparison to peers, see F5 Networks (FFIV) Revenue Comparison
- Why Has F5 Networks Stock Underperformed The S&P Since 2019?
- Here’s What Makes ViaSat Inc. Stock A Smart Bet
- F5 Networks Stock Seems Poised To Build On Recent Gains
- Here’s Why Juniper Networks Stock Is Not Your Best Networking Bet
- After Rising 9% In A Week, Is F5 Networks Stock Still A Buy?
- F5 Networks Stock Could Jump 15% To Regain Early-2021 Highs
(B) Revenue per share (RPS) increased 18% from $37.33 in 2019 to $43.88 currently
- FFIV revenue rose from $2.2 billion in 2019 to $2.7 billion currently, while the outstanding share count increased from 60.1 million in 2019 to 60.8 million currently.
- Due to this, RPS has risen from $37.33 in FY ’19 to $43.88 currently.
(C) Price-To-Sales (P/S) multiple for FFIV rose from 3.8x in FY ’19 to 5.7x in FY ’21 but has pulled back to 4.6x currently, still higher than its FY ’19 level
- Due to FFIV’s consistent performance since 2019-end, its P/S multiple rose steadily from 3.8x in FY ’19 to 5.7x in FY ’21.
- However, amidst current geopolitical tensions dragging down the broader markets, the P/S multiple has pulled back and currently stands at around 4.6x.
- For additional details about the company’s historical returns and comparison to peers, see F5 Networks (FFIV) Stock Return.
What if you’re looking for a more balanced portfolio instead? Here’s a high-quality portfolio that’s beaten the market consistently since the end of 2016.
|S&P 500 Return||2%||-7%||98%|
|Trefis MS Portfolio Return||2%||-8%||261%|
 Month-to-date and year-to-date as of 3/18/2022
 Cumulative total returns since the end of 2016
Invest with Trefis Market Beating Portfolios
See all Trefis Price Estimates