Intuitive Surgical’s (NYSE:ISRG) stock shot up 5% last Friday after the maker of the da Vinci robotic surgical system won a lawsuit, which alleged that the company was negligent in training a doctor to use the da Vinci system, leading to death of a patient. The jury, however, did not agree with the plaintiff’s claim and held that Intuitive Surgical was not liable for it.  This was the first of 26 similar lawsuits that were filed against Intuitive Surgical and could direct the outcome of other pending lawsuits. This comes as a slight boost for Intuitive Surgical as it has been going through a hard time after a series of negative reports.
In December 2o12, a report from an influential short selling firm Citron Research highlighted many incidences of deaths and injuries and a growing number of product liability lawsuits relating to the da Vinci system.  This was followed by an increase in complications reported to the FDA. While the FDA said the number of complications reported are small compared with the total surgeries performed, it initiated a survey with surgeons at major hospitals to list complications witnessed and training required for the surgical system. This compounded investor fears that these allegations could prove true and hurt the system’s sales going forward. The stock corrected over 25% following these concerns. The latest verdict will help alleviate such concerns while lending support to the stock price.
- What Percentage of Intuitive Surgical’s Stock Price Can Be Attributed To Growth?
- How Did Intuitive Surgical Fare In Q1’16 Earnings?
- Intuitive Surgical Likely Saw A Sluggish Q1’16 Due To Seasonality Effects; Long Term Growth Prospects Remain Strong
- By What Percentage Did Intuitive Surgical’s Revenue And Gross Profit Grow In The Last 5 Years?
- How Has Intuitive Surgical’s Revenue Mix Changed In The Last 5 Years?
- What is Intuitive Surgical’s Fundamental Value based on Expected 2016 Results?
We have a $600 price estimate for Intuitive Surgical, which is about 20% ahead of the current market price.
- Intuitive Surgical wins case over robotic surgery system, Reuters, May 28 2013 [↩]
- Has the Halo Been Broken on Intuitive Surgical ?, Citron Research, Dec 19 2012 [↩]