Kraft Foods (NYSE: KFT) believes India will play a pivotal role in the overall growth of the company.  Kraft is present in India through Cadbury PLC, Oreo cookies and Tang Powder and competes locally against Nestle, Britannia, Parle in the chocolate and snacks category as well as against PepsiCo (NYSE:PEP) and Coca Cola Co (NYSE:KO) in the beverage category.
We have a $35 price estimate for Kraft Foods, which is currently in line with the market price
- How Will Coffee Prices Affect Kraft’s Beverages Business?
- Commodity Cost Pressures Weigh On Kraft’s Second Quarter Earnings
- Kraft Earnings Preview: Higher Commodity Costs, Lower Grocery Sales To Weigh On Earnings
- 3 Key Trends Impacting Our $61 Price Estimate for Kraft Foods Group
- Kraft Earnings Preview: Pricing, Cost Pressures Could Mute Earnings Growth
- Higher Commodity Costs To Weigh On Kraft’s Margins This Year
Already we see Oreo cookies eating up the market share of its rivals in the $1.1 billion Indian cream biscuit segment, just 6 months after its launch.  The cookies now command a market share of 6%. The company is looking to further launch new products by using Cadbury’s existing distribution network.
According to Irene Rosenfeld, the Chief Executive of the company, growth in India was exceptional, with sales growing at almost 40% year to date. Ms. Rosenfeld also said that the company has increased investment in key areas such as R&D, advertising and capacity addition by around 70% since its purchase of Cadbury India business. Notes:
- Kraft: Expect India to Account Significantly in Overall Growth, November 22, 2011 [↩] [↩]
- Oreo eats into market share of Britannia, Parle, ITC, CNBC TV-18, November 21 [↩]