NortonLifeLock Inc. (NASDAQ: NLOK) stock price dropped 14% from $28 in 2017 end, to around $24 currently, primarily due to unfavorable changes in its P/S multiple. The company actually witnessed a steady rise in revenue per share over this period, helped by a rise in sales and a drop in the outstanding share count. Despite this, the stock has failed to outperform the S&P, which has risen more than 55% in comparison over this period.
In our interactive dashboard, Why NortonLifeLock Stock Moved: NLOK Stock Has Lost 14% Since 2017, we break down the factors behind this move.
(A) NortonLifeLock’s Total Revenue has grown 9% from $2.6 billion in FY 2018 to $2.8 billion currently
- NLOK’s total revenue has risen steadily from $2.6 billion in FY ’18 to $2.8 billion in FY ’22 (NLOK’s fiscal year ends in March), and currently stands at around the same level.
- As of FY ’22, around 60% of NLOK’s sales come from its consumer security segment, which brought in $1.67 billion in FY ’22
- Identity and Information protection sales make up the remaining 40%, bringing in $1.13 billion in FY ’22.
- For details about NortonLifeLock revenues and comparison to peers, see NortonLifeLock (NLOK) Revenue Comparison
- Why NortonLifeLock Stock Failed To Outperform The S&P Despite Steady Revenue Growth
- NortonLifeLock Stock Has Returned Just 35% Since 2018: Here’s Why
- After Rising 10% Last Week, Time To Exit NortonLifeLock Stock?
- Cybersecurity Demand Surge And Profitability Growth Make NortonLifeLock Stock A Smart Buy
- These Tech Stocks Will Benefit As The Fed’s Advances Rate Hike Timeline
- NortonLifeLock & eBay: Value Tech Stocks Are Back In Favor
(B) Revenue per share (RPS) increased 18% from $4.16 in FY ’18 to $4.89 currently
- NLOK revenue rose from $2.6 billion in FY ’18 to $2.8 billion currently, while the outstanding share count decreased from 615 million in FY ’18 to 571.4 million currently.
- Due to this, RPS has risen from $4.16 in FY ’18 to $4.89 currently.
(C) Price-To-Sales (P/S) multiple for NortonLifeLock dropped from 6.3x in 2017-end to 4.8x by 2020 end, and currently stands at around the same level
- Despite NLOK’s steady performance since 2017-end, its P/S multiple has dropped from 6.3x in 2017-end to as low as 4.8x by late 2020.
- While the P/S multiple recovered in 2021, due to the current increased economic uncertainty weighing on the broader markets, it has pulled back again, currently standing at around 4.9x.
- For additional details about the company’s stock returns and comparison to peers, see NortonLifeLock (NLOK) Stock Return Comparison.
|S&P 500 Return||3%||-10%||91%|
|Trefis Multi-Strategy Portfolio||7%||-7%||265%|
 Month-to-date and year-to-date as of 8/12/2022
 Cumulative total returns since the end of 2016