What’s Happening With Alcoa Stock?
Alcoa (NYSE:AA) stock has declined by almost 22% over the past month (about 21 trading days) considerably underperforming the broader S&P 500 which remains down by about 9% over the same period. The big sell-off comes as aluminum prices face pressure, falling from a high of about $3,700 per metric ton in early March 2022 and $2,850 in January, to just about $2,250 currently, as a steady increase in interest rates by Central banks are expected to impact global growth and demand for industrial commodities. U.S. GDP has also contracted over the last two consecutive quarters, while data from the Chinese industrial and property sectors also hasn’t been encouraging, clouding the outlook for aluminum demand. In addition to lower commodity prices, Alcoa is also contending with rising energy prices and higher input costs, which could hurt its profitability.
Given that AA stock is down 22% over the last month, will it continue its downward trajectory, or is a recovery imminent? Going by historical performance, there is a roughly equal chance of a rise or a decline in AA stock over the next month. Out of 82 instances in the last six years that AA stock saw a twenty-one-day decline of 22% or more, 44 of them resulted in AA stock rising over the subsequent one-month period (twenty-one trading days). This historical pattern reflects 44 out of 82, or a 54% chance of a rise in AA stock over the coming month. See our analysis on Alcoa Stock Chance of A Rise for more details.
Calculation of ‘Event Probability’ and ‘Chance of Rise’ using last six years’ data
- After moving 12% or more over a five-day period, the stock rose in the next five days on 53% of the occasions.
- After moving -17% or more over a ten-day period, the stock rose in the next ten days on 47% of the occasions.
- After moving -22% or more over a twenty-one-day period, the stock rose in the next twenty-one days on 54% of the occasions.
- What’s Next For Alcoa After Tough Q4 Results?
- Buy, Sell, or Hold Alcoa Stock As Aluminum Prices Remain Soft?
- Falling Aluminum Prices Will Weigh On Alcoa’s Q3 Results
- With Aluminum Prices On The Decline, What Next For Alcoa?
- Will Alcoa’s Top Line Remain Strong In 2022?
- Why Is Alcoa Stock Attracting Investor Optimism?
This pattern suggests that there is not a very high chance of a rise in AA stock in the near-term.
What if you’re looking for a more balanced portfolio instead? Our high-quality portfolio and multi-strategy portfolio have beaten the market consistently since the end of 2016.
|S&P 500 Return||-4%||-20%||69%|
|Trefis Multi-Strategy Portfolio||-6%||-21%||213%|
 Month-to-date and year-to-date as of 9/22/2022
 Cumulative total returns since the end of 2016
Invest with Trefis Market Beating Portfolios
See all Trefis Price Estimates