Sina's 2 divisions are expected to make $2.1 billion for full-year 2019
(1) Advertising $1.8 billion (84%), and
(2) Non-Advertising $335 million (16%)
Sina's Business Model
What Need Does It Serve?
SINA spun off Weibo in an IPO in 2014, but it still retains a majority voting stake in Weibo, and generates most of its revenue from the company. Weibo is China's leading micro blogging based social advertising site. It is also known as the Twitter of China. (Twitter is not available in China)
Micro blogging based advertising services allows for targeted advertising based on user interests. Also, feedback generated can be quickly analyzed through text analytics.
The user engagement is better since the users are able to communicate almost in the same way people chat. The key difference is that the public is able to view the conversations.
Has 2 Operating Segments-
1. Advertising: These revenues are derived from online advertising and marketing, including display advertising and promoted marketing, and, to a lesser extent, sponsorship arrangements.
2. Non-Advertising: These revenues are derived from loan facilitation services, online payment services, Weibo fee-based services, live streaming and game related purchases.
What Are The Alternatives? (Chinese Market)
Messengers and other social apps and sites: Weixin/WeChat, QQ Mobile, Qzone Mobile and Momo
News apps and sites, such as those operated by other major internet companies: Tencent, Baidu, NetEase
What is the Basis of Competition?
Competition is based on user traffic and user engagement, content, talent, and marketing resources.
DISAGREE WITH OUR FORECASTS? CREATE YOUR OWN
1. How to save your forecasts:
Click on the blue "Try Trefis" button in the header to create an account, then navigate back to this dashboard. Now, any changes you make to these inputs will be auto-saved as a scenario (see left panel of dashboard).
2. How to monitor your scenario vs. actual results
Once you've saved your forecast, you can "rename" your scenario by clicking on the gear icon next to the scenario (on the left panel). For more info, see this quick, 30-sec video (look at the 9 sec mark)
With your forecast saved and named, you can see how well you forecast the company's performance at the end of each period and compare your forecasts to hundreds of other Trefis users who came up with their own forecasts. Lastly, you can share with friends and colleagues to show them how you fared and compare your forecasts to theirs.