This site requires a more recent version of Adobe Flash Player to function properly.
Go here to get Flash.
Trefis's graphical modelling tools require Flash, but here's a preview of some of the content you'll see once
Flash is enabled:
Investment Overview for Wynn Resorts (NASDAQ:WYNN)
Below are key drivers of Wynn's value that present opportunities for upside or downside to the current Trefis price estimate for Wynn Resorts:
Macau VIP Table Games
- Wynn Macau's VIP Table Games Turnover: Wynn's VIP Table Games Turnover has increased significantly since 2006. It increased from $6.6 billion in 2006 to $119 billion in 2012. In 2010, the value of VIP Table Games wagers increased by approximately 70% due to the opening of Wynn Encore in Macau. In case Wynn's VIP Table Games Turnover reaches $400 billion at the end of the forecast period, there could be an upside potential of approximately 10% to our estimate for Wynn's stock. In a slightly bearish scenario, considering the turnover grows slowly and reaches $250 billion at the end of the forecast period, there could be a 12% downside to our estimate for Wynn's stock. We believe that the increasing population of Chinese high net worth individuals (HNIs) and expected completion of the Cotai project by 2016, are likely to be the stimulating factors for future growth.
- Wynn Macau VIP Table Games Gross Margin: Wynn's VIP Table EBITDA Margin has increased from 15% to 21% between 2006 and 2012. We expect margins to be around 24% in the coming years. In September, 2009, the government officially announced the cap of 1.25% on junket commissions. We believe this would affect the margins favorably.
For additional details, select a driver above or select a division from the interactive Trefis split for Wynn Resorts at the top of the page.
Wynn Resorts is a leading developer, owner and operator of destination casino resorts. It currently owns and operates the Wynn Las Vegas and Encore at Las Vegas as well as the Wynn Macau and Encore at Macau.
Wynn reports its results in two segments: Wynn Las Vegas, (which includes Encore at Wynn Las Vegas) and Wynn Macau (which includes Encore at Macau).
- Wynn Las Vegas has 2,716 rooms and suites, including 36 villas and 6 private entry villas. Its 110,000 square foot casino has 130 table games, a baccarat salon, private VIP gaming rooms, a poker room, approximately 1,920 slot machines and a race and sports book. The resort opened in April, 2005.
- Encore is a 2,034 all-suite hotel. Its 76,000 square foot casino has 90 table games, a baccarat salon, private VIP gaming rooms, approximately 790 slot machines and a sports book. The resort opened in December, 2008.
- Wynn Macau has 600 hotel rooms and suites. It has 222,000 square feet of gaming casino space. The casino has 390 table games, 1,200 slot machines and a poker room.
- Encore opened in April, 2010 and has 414 suites and villas. The resort has approximately 37 VIP tables, 24 mass market tables and 69 slot machines.
The main competitors include prominent firms in the gaming and casino industry such as Las Vegas Sands, MGM Resorts, Boyd Gaming, Harrah's Entertainment, SJM and Galaxy among others.
The Macau region contributes approximately 60% to the net revenues, whereas the rest is contributed by the Las Vegas region. Wynn conducts its gaming activities on a credit as well as a cash basis.
Premium brand image
- Wynn is recognized worldwide as a premium brand resort. It has sophisticated style and offers exquisite luxuries to its customers. It mainly caters to high end gaming customers and the company does not intend to shift its focus from its existing global image.
- Its premium offerings include an array of amenities and indulgences including private lagoons and waterfalls, an exclusive shopping promenade featuring renowned designers, an 18-hole golf course designed by Tom Fazio and Steve Wynn, a tranquil spa and salon, as well as a Ferrari and Maserati dealership. The nightly entertainment includes the magical Lake of Dreams and the provocative water show 'Le Reve.'
Geographically diversified operations
- Wynn has a presence in US and Macau, the two most prominent casino hubs in the world. Due to its presence in Macau, it has been able to grow its earnings even in a recessionary scenario. Its revenues in the Las Vegas region were affected badly due to the recession, however, it was compensated by the growth in the Macau region.
- Wynn plans to develop additional resorts in the Cotai region. The resorts are expected to come into operations by 2015. We expect this to provide Wynn a strong foothold in the Macau region.
Increasing share of Macau casino revenues
- Wynn is looking at Macau, the Asian replica of Las Vegas, for future growth. Last year, Wynn opened the Encore at Macau. Wynn is about to start the construction work of another major resort in the Cotai strip area. The new Cotai resort is expected to be completed by 2015. The following factors strengthen the trends mentioned:
- Macau surpassed the Las Vegas Strip as the world’s biggest gambling hub in 2006, after the government allowed the entry of overseas casino operators. Since then, the region has witnessed unprecedented growth levels. In 2012, the region collected $38 billion in gaming revenues, far more than the gaming revenues collected on the Las Vegas Strip.
- According to a study by PwC, growth in Macau will be fueled by new casinos and revenues which is expected to be more than $62.2 billion in the next five years. This would represent 34% of the total global casino revenues in 2015.
- A strong Chinese economy followed by a burgeoning middle class and increasing population of high net worth individuals is helping boost Macau's growing gaming industry.
- Macau offers a world class gaming infrastructure. All major gaming companies like Melco Crown, Las Vegas Sands, and MGM Resorts have a presence in Macau.
Las Vegas gaming market growth slowing down
- The economic recession of 2008/2009 slowed down the growth of the Las Vegas gaming industry. Other factors mentioned below also accentuated the slow down:
- Other US states like Pennsylvania and Delaware have legalized table games. Similar action by other states could affect the number of tourists visiting Las Vegas. More than 80% of the tourists visiting Las Vegas are domestic.
- The Las Vegas gaming market has reached a saturation state. Casino operators indulge in intense competition to sustain their margins. Intense competition is affecting the industry margins. However, in 2011, it did show signs of improvement. Las Vegas Ex-Baccarat Revenues (Win Amount) and Las Vegas Baccarat Revenues (Win Amount) both witnessed an increase of 6% approximately.
- Excess room capacity hitting the markets is expected to pressurize the margins of the gaming industry by pushing average daily rates down. At the end of 2010, Cosmopolitan had added about 3,000 additional rooms.
- Asian tourists prefer Macau to Las Vegas as it offers world class gaming infrastructure at a nearby location.
The decrease in number of Asian tourists would also affect the Las Vegas gaming industry.
Key infrastructural initiatives underway
- The Macau government is reinforcing a series of initiatives in order to drive visitor growth in the region. The gaming industry is a key contributor to Macau's GDP. The government is investing in new transportation links to ease travel for Chinese visitors. According to the Macau Statistics and Census Service Monthly Bulletin of Statistics, approximately 89% of the tourists who visited Macau in 2012 came from Mainland China, Hong Kong and Taiwan.
- The Guangzhou-Zhuhai high-speed railway is expected to improve travel time from Guangzhou to Macau to 40 mins, down from the 2+ hours taken by bus.
- The Macau Light Rapid Transit will link ferry terminals and key locations. It will have 12 stops on the Macau peninsula, 11 stops on Cotai and Taipa and will fully integrate different regions within Macau. It should be completed by 2015.
- The Hong Kong-Zhuhai-Macau bridge will connect Hong Kong to Macau, thereby, reducing car travel time from 4 hours to 40 minutes. It is expected to be completed by 2015-2016.
- The Macau International Airport is presently undergoing capacity upgrades. Its capacity will be increased to handle 12 million people per year, almost double from the current capacity of 6 million people. It is expected to be completed by 2017.
How Does Trefis Modelling Work?
How do we get the historical numbers for this chart?
Trefis has a team of in-house Analysts who gather historical data from company filings and other verifiable sources. When historicals are available, we explain how we got them at the bottom of the Trefis analysis section below.
Who came up with the Trefis forecast for future years?
The Trefis team of in-house Analysts considers a variety of factors when projecting any forecast. The rationale for our projections is explained in the Trefis analysis section below.
How does my dragging the trendline on the chart impact the stock price?
- We use forecasts for business drivers to calculate forecasted Revenues and Profits for each division of the company.
- We then use forecasted Profits in a Discounted Cash Flow (DCF) model to obtain the Price Estimate for the company.
See more on: DCF Methodology
View All Help Topics