After reaching pre-Covid levels in October, the shares of Schlumberger (NYSE: SLB) declined by almost 11% in the past month over concerns of another infectious wave. While, the steep fall in benchmark oil prices are a headwind for the industry, the easing of production curbs by OPEC is likely to boost capital expenses of upstream companies and subsequently push the topline of oil field service firms. Also, our machine learning engine highlights the low event probability (10%) of an 11% decline in Schlumberger stock over the past month and an uncertain 49% chance of a rebound over the next month.
So is Schlumberger stock likely to decline further in the coming weeks and months or is a recovery looking more likely? Per the Trefis machine learning engine which analyzes historical stock price movements, SLB stock has a 49% chance of a rise over the next month (21 trading days). See our analysis Schlumberger Stock Chance of Rise for more details.
Five Days: SLB -1.5%, vs. S&P 500 -1.2%; Underperformed market (30% event probability)
- Schlumberger stock declined 1.5% over a five-day trading period ending 12/6/2021, compared to the broader market (S&P500) which declined 1.2% over the same period.
- A change of -1.5% or lower over 5-day period in 750 times out of 2516 (30%); Stock rose in the next 5 days in 352 of these 750 instances (47%)
Ten Days: SLB -8.2%, vs. S&P 500 -3.5%; Underperformed market (9% event probability)
- Schlumberger stock declined 8.2% over the last ten trading days (two weeks), compared to the broader market (S&P500) which declined by 3.5%.
- A change of -8.2% or lower over 10-day period in 223 times out of 2515 (9%); Stock rose in the next 10 days in 105 of these 223 instances (47%).
Twenty-One Days: SLB -11%, vs. S&P 500 -2.4%; Underperformed market (10% event probability)
- Schlumberger stock declined 11% over the last twenty-one trading days (about one month), compared to the broader market (S&P500) which declined by 2.4%.
- Returns of -11% or lower over 21-day period in 249 times out of 2515 (10%); Stock rose in the next 21 days in 122 of these 249 instances (49%)
What if you’re looking for a more balanced portfolio instead? Here’s a high-quality portfolio that’s beaten the market consistently since the end of 2016.
|S&P 500 Return||-2%||21%||103%|
|Trefis MS Portfolio Return||-3%||40%||278%|
 Month-to-date and year-to-date as of 12/6/2021
 Cumulative total returns since 2017
Invest with Trefis Market-Beating Portfolios
See all Trefis Price Estimates