Nvidia Stock Has Grown 2.5x In Less Than Five Years- Here’s Why
Nvidia Corporation (NASDAQ: NVDA) stock price rose more than 2.5x from $48 in 2017 end to around $125 currently, primarily due to favorable changes in its sales. During this period, the company witnessed a strong 206% rise in revenues, and despite a 19% drop in its P/S multiple and a 5.4% rise in the outstanding share count, the company’s stock price has rallied. Further, over the same period, the S&P 500 returned around 40%, meaning that NVDA stock has managed to strongly beat the index since 2017-end.
In our interactive dashboard, Why Nvidia Stock Moved: NVDA Stock Has Gained 159% Since 2017, we break down the factors behind this move.
(A) NVDA’s Total Revenue has grown 206% from $9.7 billion in FY 2018 to $29.7 billion on an LTM basis
- NVDA’s total revenue hovered between $10 billion to $12 billion from FY ’18 to FY ’20, but demand has picked up since the pandemic and sales have risen strongly to $26.9 billion in FY ’22, and currently stand even higher at $29.7 billion (NVDA’s fiscal year ends in January).
- Nvidia is a major player in the GPU market, with its sales being driven by gaming processors and data centers.
- Nvidia’s largest segment is the graphics segment, bringing in $15.9 billion as of FY ’22, making up around 59% of the company’s total sales.
- For additional details about NVDA’s revenues and comparison to peers, see Nvidia (NVDA) Revenue Comparison
- Nvidia Dominates AI Silicon, But That Doesn’t Justify A $1 Trillion Valuation
- The AI Race Is Gathering Steam. What Will It Mean For Nvidia’s Earnings?
- Despite Generative AI Tailwinds, We Think Nvidia Stock Is Overvalued
- Digital Infrastructure Stocks Benefit From Growing Interest In Generative AI
- Company Of The Day: Nvidia
- What’s Behind Nvidia Stock’s 5x Rise Since Late 2018?
(B) Revenue per share (RPS) increased 191% from $4.06 in FY 2018 to $11.79 currently
- NVDA’s revenue rose from $9.7 billion in FY 2018 to $29.7 billion currently, while the outstanding share count rose from 2.4 billion in FY 2018 to around 2.5 billion currently.
- Due to this, RPS has jumped almost 3x from $4.06 in FY ’18 to $11.79 currently.
(C) Price-To-Sales (P/S) multiple for NVDA rose strongly from 13.1x in 2017 to 46.4x by 2021 end, but has pulled back to 10.6x currently, lower than its 2017 level
- NVDA’s P/S multiple rose strongly to around 46.4x by late 2021, on the back of rising investor expectations surrounding increased demand for its graphic processors, leading to a rise in the company’s sales.
- However, due to the current geopolitical tensions and increased economic uncertainty weighing on the broader markets, the P/S multiple has pulled back, currently standing at around 10.6x.
- For additional details about the company stock returns and comparison to peers, see Nvidia (NVDA) Stock Return Comparison.
What if you’re looking for a more balanced portfolio instead? Our high-quality portfolio and multi-strategy portfolio have beaten the market consistently since the end of 2016.
|S&P 500 Return||-6%||-22%||65%|
|Trefis Multi-Strategy Portfolio||-11%||-25%||198%|
 Month-to-date and year-to-date as of 9/26/2022
 Cumulative total returns since the end of 2016
Invest with Trefis Market Beating Portfolios
See all Trefis Price Estimates