SolarEdge Technologies Inc. (NASDAQ: SEDG) stock price rose over 8x from $37 in 2017 end to around $313 currently, primarily due to favorable changes in its sales. During this period, the company witnessed a stellar 305% rise in revenues, and combined with a 107% rise in its P/S multiple, the company’s stock price has rallied despite a rise in the outstanding share count. Further, over the same period, the S&P 500 returned a little less than 50%, meaning that SEDG stock has managed to strongly beat the index since 2017-end.
In our interactive dashboard, Why SolarEdge Technologies Stock Moved: SEDG Stock Has Gained 734% Since 2017, we break down the factors behind this move.
(A) SEDG’s Total Revenue has grown 305% from $600 million in FY 2017 to $2.5 billion on an LTM basis
- SEDG’s total revenue has risen consistently from $600 million in FY ’17 to $2 billion in FY ’21, and currently stands higher at $2.5 billion on an LTM basis.
- SolarEdge is a provider of power optimizer, solar inverter, and monitoring systems for photovoltaic arrays.
- SEDG’s largest segment is the solar segment, bringing in $1.79 billion as of FY ’21, making up around 91% of the company’s total sales.
- For additional details about SEDG’s revenues and comparison to peers, see SolarEdge Technologies (SEDG) Revenue Comparison
- Procter & Gamble Stock Has Outperformed The S&P 500 Since 2017 End: Here’s Why
- After 10% Drop Last Week, Can Delta Air Lines Stock Bounce?
- Why Harley-Davidson Stock Is Holding Up Despite A Tough Automotive Market
- Is BNY Mellon Stock Stock Fairly Priced?
- What’s Driving Growth For J.B. Hunt Stock?
- Is There More Upside For Humana Stock?
(B) Revenue per share (RPS) increased 207% from $14.35 in 2017 to $44.05 currently
- SEDG’s revenue rose from $600 million in 2017 to $2.5 billion currently, while the outstanding share count rose from 42.3 million in 2017 to around 55.9 million currently.
- Due to this, RPS has jumped 3x from $14.35 in FY ’17 to $44.05 currently.
(C) Price-To-Sales (P/S) multiple for SEDG rose strongly from 3.4x in 2017 to 12.1x by 2020 end, but has pulled back to 7.1x currently, still over 2x higher than its 2017 level
- SEDG’s P/S multiple rose strongly to around 12.1x by late 2020, on the back of rising investor expectations surrounding increased solar energy adoption, leading to a rise in the company’s sales.
- However, due to the current geopolitical tensions and increased economic uncertainty weighing on the broader markets, the P/S multiple has pulled back, currently standing at around 7.1x.
- For additional details about the company stock returns, and comparison to peers, see SolarEdge Technologies (SEDG) Stock Return Comparison.
|S&P 500 Return||0%||-17%||77%|
|Trefis Multi-Strategy Portfolio||1%||-14%||239%|
 Month-to-date and year-to-date as of 9/13/2022
 Cumulative total returns since the end of 2016