Charles Schwab Stock Is Up 8% YTD, Where Is It Headed?

SCHW: Charles Schwab logo
Charles Schwab

Charles Schwab stock (NYSE: SCHW) has gained 8% YTD as compared to the 12% rise in the S&P500 index over the same period. In sharp contrast, Charles Schwab’s peer Goldman Sachs (NYSE: GS) is up 20% since the beginning of 2024. Overall, at its current price of $74 per share, SCHW is trading 5% below its fair value of $78 – Trefis’ estimate for Charles Schwab’s valuation

Amid the current financial backdrop, SCHW stock has shown strong gains of 35% from levels of $55 in early January 2021 to around $75 now, vs. an increase of about 45% for the S&P 500 over this roughly 3-year period. However, the increase in SCHW stock has been far from consistent. Returns for the stock were 59% in 2021, -1% in 2022, and -17% in 2023. In comparison, returns for the S&P 500 have been 27% in 2021, -19% in 2022, and 24% in 2023 – indicating that SCHW underperformed the S&P in 2023. In fact, consistently beating the S&P 500 – in good times and bad – has been difficult over recent years for individual stocks; for heavyweights in the Financials sector including JPM, V, and MA, and even for the megacap stars GOOG, TSLA, and MSFT. In contrast, the Trefis High Quality (HQ) Portfolio, with a collection of 30 stocks, has outperformed the S&P 500 each year over the same period. Why is that? As a group, HQ Portfolio stocks provided better returns with less risk versus the benchmark index; less of a roller-coaster ride as evident in HQ Portfolio performance metrics. Given the current uncertain macroeconomic environment with high oil prices and elevated interest rates, could SCHW face a similar situation as it did in 2023 and underperform the S&P over the next 12 months – or will it see a strong jump?

The company outperformed the street estimates for earnings in the first quarter of 2024, while revenues were in line with the expectations. It reported net revenues of $4.74 billion – down 7% y-o-y, primarily driven by a 19% drop in the net interest income (NII) and an 8% decline in the trading revenues. The NII suffered due to a 13% decrease in the total interest-earning assets and lower net interest margin. That said, the top line was somewhat supported by a 21% increase in the asset management & administration fees and higher bank deposit account fees. On the cost front, the expenses as a % of revenues increased in the quarter. Overall, the adjusted net income decreased by 18% y-o-y to $1.25 billion.

Relevant Articles
  1. Charles Schwab Stock To Top The Consensus In Q3
  2. What To Expect From Charles Schwab Stock?
  3. Charles Schwab Stock To Post Mixed Result In Q2
  4. Charles Schwab Stock Has An 84% Upside Potential To Its Pre-Inflation Peak
  5. Charles Schwab Stock Is Undervalued
  6. What To Expect From Charles Schwab Stock In Q4?

The net revenues were $18.84 billion in FY 2023 – down 9% from the year ago period. It was mainly due to a 12% drop in the net interest income, a similar decrease in the trading revenues, and a 50% decline in the bank deposit account fees. However, the negative impact was partially offset by a 13% gain in the asset management and administration fees. In terms of expenses, total noninterest expenses increased 10% over the same period. Altogether, the adjusted net income was down 30% y-o-y to $4.65 billion.

Moving forward, we expect the same trend to continue in Q2. Overall, Charles Schwab’s revenues are estimated to remain around $19.66 billion in FY2024. Additionally, SCHW’s adjusted net income margin is likely to improve in the year, resulting in an annual GAAP EPS of $3.32. This coupled with a P/E multiple of just below 24x will lead to a valuation of $78.

 Returns Jun 2024
MTD [1]
YTD [1]
Total [2]
 SCHW Return 1% 8% 88%
 S&P 500 Return 1% 12% 139%
 Trefis Reinforced Value Portfolio 1% 5% 646%

[1] Returns as of 6/7/2024
[2] Cumulative total returns since the end of 2016

Invest with Trefis Market-Beating Portfolios
See all Trefis Price Estimates