NetApp Inc. (NASDAQ: NTAP) stock price gained 25% from $60 in late 2018 to almost $75 currently, primarily due to a steady rise in its P/S multiple and revenues. Additionally, over this period, the company also witnessed a strong rise in its revenue per share, driven by a drop in its outstanding share count. Despite this, the company’s stock largely underperformed the S&P 500, which grew around 1.7x during this period.
In our interactive dashboard, Why NetApp Stock Moved: NTAP Stock Has Gained 25% Since 2018, we break down the factors behind this move.
(A) NetApp’s Total Revenue has risen 2.8% from $6.1 billion in FY 2019 to $6.3 billion currently
- NetApp’s total revenue initially fell from $6.1 billion in FY ’19 to as low as $5.4 billion in FY ’20, before recovering to $6.3 billion by FY ’22 (NTAP’s fiscal year ends in April), and currently stands at the same level.
- As of FY ’22, NetApp derives its sales almost equally from its products (52%) and services (48%) divisions.
- However, most of the sales growth since FY ’19 has been driven by a rise in sales from the services segment, demand for which continues to grow steadily even now.
- For details about NetApp revenues and comparison to peers, see NetApp (NTAP) Revenue Comparison
- What To Expect From NetApp’s Q4 Results?
- NetApp Stock Looks Attractive Despite Easing IT Spending
- Despite A Rise In Sales, Here’s Why NetApp Stock Has Underperformed The S&P
- After Strong Outperformance, Can NetApp Stock Maintain Its Streak?
- Here’s Why NetApp Stock Has Failed To Outperform The S&P
- Here’s Why NetApp Stock Has Underperformed The Market Since 2018
(B) Revenue per share (RPS) increased 17% from $24.18 in FY 2019 to $28.30 currently
- NetApp revenue rose from $6.1 billion in FY ’19 to $6.3 billion currently, while its outstanding share count dropped from 254.1 million in FY ’19 to 223.3 million currently.
- Due to this, RPS has risen steadily from $24.18 in FY ’19 to $28.30 currently.
(C) Price-To-Sales (P/S) multiple for NetApp rose from 2.2x in 2019 to 3.5x by 2021 end, and currently stands at 2.6x, still higher than its 2019 level
- NetApp’s P/S multiple jumped to 3.5x by late 2021, on the back of rising investor expectations surrounding continued demand growth for its products and stronger demand for its services.
- However, due to the current increased economic uncertainty weighing on the broader markets, the P/S multiple has pulled back, currently standing at around 2.6x.
- For additional details about the company’s stock returns and comparison to peers, see NetApp (NTAP) Stock Return Comparison.
|S&P 500 Return||4%||-10%||92%|
|Trefis Multi-Strategy Portfolio||8%||-7%||268%|
 Month-to-date and year-to-date as of 8/17/2022
 Cumulative total returns since the end of 2016