NetApp Inc. (NASDAQ: NTAP) stock price gained just 8% from $60 at 2018 end to almost $65 currently, primarily due to a slight rise in its P/S multiple. However, the company also witnessed a steady rise in its revenue per share, driven by a marginal rise in sales and a drop in its outstanding share count. The company’s stock massively underperformed the S&P 500, which grew around 1.5x during this period.
In our interactive dashboard, Why NetApp Stock Moved: NTAP Stock Has Gained 8% Since 2018, we break down the factors behind this move.
(A) NetApp’s Total Revenue has risen 2.8% from $6.1 billion in FY 2019 to $6.3 billion currently
- NetApp’s total revenue initially dropped from $6.1 billion in FY ’19 to $5.4 billion in FY ’20, before pulling back up to $6.3 billion in FY ’22 (NTAP’s fiscal year ends in April), and currently stands at the same level.
- As of FY ’22, NetApp’s sales come almost equally from its products (52%) and services (48%) divisions.
- However, just two years ago in FY ’20, sales from its services segment stood at 44%, and most of the sales growth since then has been driven by a rise in sales from services.
- For details about NetApp revenues and comparison to peers, see NetApp (NTAP) Revenue Comparison
- Here’s Why NetApp Stock Has Underperformed The Market Since 2018
- What’s Next For NetApp Stock After Shedding 12% In The Past Month?
- Forecast Of The Day: NetApp’s Product Revenue
- Read This If You Think NetApp Stock Is Your Best Cloud Services Bet
- Forecast Of The Day: NetApp Services Revenue
- Here’s What Makes Arista Networks Stock A Strong Bet
(B) Revenue per share (RPS) increased 17% from $24.18 in FY 2019 to $28.30 currently
- NetApp revenue rose from $6.1 billion in FY ’19 to $6.3 billion currently, while the outstanding share count dropped from 254.1 million in FY ’19 to 223.3 million currently.
- Due to this, RPS has risen steadily from $24.18 in FY ’19 to $28.30 currently.
(C) Price-To-Sales (P/S) multiple for NetApp has risen from 2.2x in 2019 to 3.5x by 2021 end, and currently stands at 2.3x, just marginally higher than its 2019 level
- NetApp’s P/S multiple jumped to around 3.5x by late 2020, on the back of rising investor expectations surrounding continued demand growth for its products and services.
- However, due to the current increased economic uncertainty weighing on the broader markets, the P/S multiple has pulled back, currently standing at around 2.3x.
- For additional details about the company’s stock returns and comparison to peers, see NetApp (NTAP) Stock Return Comparison.
|S&P 500 Return||2%||-22%||88%|
|Trefis Multi-Strategy Portfolio||-9%||-26%||189%|
 Month-to-date and year-to-date as of 6/21/2022
 Cumulative total returns since the end of 2016