Motorola Solutions Inc. (NYSE: MSI) stock price gained 102% from $115 in 2018 end, to around $232 currently, primarily due to favorable changes in its P/S multiple. Additionally, the company witnessed a rise in revenue over this period, and revenue per share has increased, despite a rise in the outstanding share count.
In our interactive dashboard, Why Motorola Solutions Stock Moved: MSI Stock Has Gained 102% Since 2018, we break down the factors behind this move.
(A) MSI’s Total Revenue has grown 11% from $7.3 billion in 2018 to $8.2 billion on an LTM basis
- MSI’s total revenue first rose from $7.3 billion in FY ’18 to $7.9 billion in FY ’19, before dropping to $7.4 billion in FY ’20 due to the pandemic.
- However, revenues have since recovered and currently stand at $8.2 billion, as of the company’s most recent FY ’21 earnings.
- MSI derives its revenues almost evenly from both products and services, with the services segment defining more of the company’s overall growth during the past few years, and now making up 44% of the company’s total sales.
- For details about MSI revenues and comparison to peers, see Motorola Solutions (MSI) Revenue Comparison
- Motorola Solutions Stock Has Almost Doubled The S&P’s Returns Since 2018- Here’s Why
- Motorola Solutions Inc. Stock Looks Set To Continue Its Rally
- Motorola Solutions Stock Looks Set To Bounce On The Back Of Steady Earnings Growth
- Forecast Of The Day: Motorola Solutions Products Revenues
- Read This If You Think Motorola Solutions Stock Is Your Best Technology Bet
- Here’s Why Motorola Solutions Inc. Stock Is Not Your Best Telecommunication Hardware Bet
(B) Revenue per share (RPS) increased 7.6% from $45.09 in 2018 to $48.50 currently
- MSI revenue rose from $7.3 billion in 2018 to $8.2 billion currently, while the outstanding share count increased from 162.9 million in 2018 to 168.5 million currently.
- Due to this, RPS has risen from $45.09 in FY ’18 to $48.50 currently.
(C) Price-To-Sales (P/S) multiple for MSI rose from 2.6x in FY ’18 to 5.6x in FY ’21 but has pulled back to 4.8x currently, still more than 1.8x higher than its FY ’18 level
- Due to MSI’s consistent performance since 2018-end, its P/S multiple rose steadily from 2.6x in FY ’18 to 5.6x in FY ’21.
- However, amidst current geopolitical tensions dragging down the broader markets, the P/S multiple has pulled back and currently stands at around 4.8x.
- For additional details about the company’s EBITDA and comparison to peers, see Motorola Solutions (MSI) EBITDA Comparison.
What if you’re looking for a more balanced portfolio instead? Here’s a high-quality portfolio that’s beaten the market consistently since the end of 2016.
|S&P 500 Return||2%||-7%||99%|
|Trefis MS Portfolio Return||2%||-9%||259%|
 Month-to-date and year-to-date as of 3/21/2022
 Cumulative total returns since the end of 2016
Invest with Trefis Market Beating Portfolios
See all Trefis Price Estimates