Microsoft (NASDAQ:MSFT) has been spending huge amounts on marketing the Windows Phone with the aim to gain market share in the highly competitive smartphone market currently dominated by Apple’s (NASDAQ:AAPL) iOS and Google‘s (NASDAQ:GOOG) Android. It has also been trying various tactics to get prominent app developers on iOS and Android bring their apps to Windows Phone, but it hasn’t had much luck yet. Windows Phone sales have been disappointing, and Microsoft’s smartphone market share has dropped to an all-time low of just 1.9% in Q2 2012.
Microsoft hopes to turn Windows Phone into a hot platform through various marketing campaigns and by boosting the app/game count of Windows Phone. It is apparently working on an app migration service which would let you port all your apps and app data from other platforms on to Windows Phone. Initially, it would suggest similar apps on Windows Phone after scanning your current device, and provide you a way to easily download all of them and port your existing data to those apps. 
- Microsoft Earnings: Growth In Cloud Boosts Revenue Once Again
- Microsoft Earnings Preview: Cloud, Hardware Likely Boosted Revenues For The Quarter
- Reviewing Microsoft’s Performance in 2016
- Can The Rumored Launch Of Surface Phone Boost Microsoft’s Revenues?
- New Products Launched At Microsoft Event Can Help The Company To Boost Windows 10 Ecosystem
- Microsoft Earnings: Cloud Adoption Takes Center Stage As Revenue Improve Slightly
The company’s patent filing also seems to include some method to install apps from other platforms on your Windows Phone, possibly by porting them or running them in an emulator. While this is still a long shot and would definitely not provide the same level of experience as a native app, it seems to be an interesting way to bridge the app gap and ease the transition between platforms for the consumer.
Windows Phone, Xbox and other entertainment devices account for nearly 4% of Microsoft’s $40 Trefis price estimate, which stands nearly 30% above its market price.Notes: