Microsoft (NASDAQ:MSFT) has launched an upgrade to its cloud based storage and sync offering, SkyDrive. The update comes with integrated SkyDrive apps for Windows, a revamped web interface, and additional paid storage options which allow users to buy additional cloud storage up to 100 GB. This update came right before the Google (NASDAQ:GOOG) Drive announcement, which will compete with Microsoft’s SkyDrive, Dropbox and Apple‘s (NASDAQ:AAPL) iCloud. 
Microsoft’s SkyDrive Upgrade: Too little, too late?
- Microsoft Earnings: Growth In Cloud Boosts Revenue Once Again
- Microsoft Earnings Preview: Cloud, Hardware Likely Boosted Revenues For The Quarter
- Reviewing Microsoft’s Performance in 2016
- Can The Rumored Launch Of Surface Phone Boost Microsoft’s Revenues?
- New Products Launched At Microsoft Event Can Help The Company To Boost Windows 10 Ecosystem
- Microsoft Earnings: Cloud Adoption Takes Center Stage As Revenue Improve Slightly
Unlike Dropbox which works on every major desktop and mobile platform with integrated apps for each of them, SkyDrive was only a web-based service initially. It hasn’t been a major focus area for Microsoft, which was one of the first players in the space but has failed to gain much traction compared to Dropbox.
With this update, it has launched apps for Windows, Windows Phone, iOS and Mac, which works just like Dropbox, offering integrated storage and sync features. Microsoft may also launch SkyDrive on Android in a bid to capture a greater market share in the cloud storage space.
Google has already unveiled Google Drive with support for all major platforms, integration with Google Docs, Apps and a Google Drive API for developers. The SkyDrive update comes just in time, but it may not be enough to compete with Google Drive, which could offer better platform support and integration. We’ll see.
In the meantime, Dropbox continues to be the best cloud storage solution available to mankind.
We have a $38 Trefis price estimate for Microsoft, which stands nearly 20% above its current market price.Notes: