The price of Johnson & Johnson stock (NYSE: JNJ) has seen a rise of 5% in a month, while it’s up 4% YTD. This optimism can be attributed to a court ruling that supported the company’s plans to use the “Texas two-step” strategy. Under this, J&J will declare bankruptcy for its subsidiary that holds its talc-related litigation liabilities. This move will allow J&J to avoid fighting thousands of individual lawsuits.  J&J also announced the U.S. FDA approval of its CAR-T therapy – Carvykti – used to treat Relapsed or Refractory Multiple Myeloma. While this approval is for the fifth line of treatment, the company is testing Carvykti as first-line therapy. Carvykti’s peak sales are estimated to be around $5 billion.
But now that JNJ stock has seen a rise of 5% in a month will it continue its upward trajectory, or is a fall imminent? Going by historical performance, there is a higher chance of a rise in JNJ stock over the next month. Out of 378 instances in the last ten years that JNJ stock saw a twenty-one-day rise of 5% or more, 229 of them resulted in JNJ stock rising over the subsequent one-month period (twenty-one trading days). This historical pattern reflects 229 out of 378, or about a 61% chance of a rise in JNJ stock over the coming month. See our analysis on Johnson & Johnson Stock Chance of Rise for more details.
While JNJ stock may rise over the next month, it’s helpful to see how its peers stack up. Check out Johnson & Johnson Peers to see how JNJ stock compares against peers on metrics that matter. You can find more useful comparisons on Peer Comparisons.
- Should You Buy Johnson & Johnson Stock At $177?
- Here’s Why Centene Stock Is A Better Bet Compared To This Pharmaceuticals Bellwether
- This Semiconductor Chip Company Is Likely To Offer Better Returns Over Johnson & Johnson Stock
- Company Of The Day: Johnson & Johnson
- Here’s Why Humira Maker Is A Better Bet Compared To Johnson & Johnson Stock
- Despite Its Mixed Q4 Johnson & Johnson Stock May See Higher Levels
Calculation of ‘Event Probability’ and ‘Chance of Rise’ using last ten years’ data
- After moving -0.7% or more over five days- the stock rose on 57% of the occasions in the next five days.
- After moving 1.7% or more over ten days, the stock rose in the next ten days on 56% of the occasions
- After moving 5.2% or more over a twenty-one-day period, the stock rose on 61% of the occasions in the next twenty-one days.
This pattern suggests a higher chance of a rise in JNJ stock over the next five days, ten days, and one month.
Johnson & Johnson (JNJ) Stock Return (Recent) Comparison With Peers
- Five-Day Return: MRK highest at 1.0%; PFE lowest at -2.9%
- Ten-Day Return: ABBV highest at 4.4%; PFE lowest at 0.7%
- Twenty-One Days Return: PFE highest at 10.3%; RHHBY lowest at 3.0%
What if you’re looking for a more balanced portfolio instead? Here’s a high-quality portfolio that’s beaten the market consistently since the end of 2016.
|S&P 500 Return||2%||-6%||99%|
|Trefis MS Portfolio Return||2%||-9%||259%|
 Month-to-date and year-to-date as of 3/29/2022
 Cumulative total returns since the end of 2016
- Judge greenlights J&J strategy to resolve talc lawsuits in bankruptcy court, Dietrich Knauth and Tom Hals, Reuters, Feb 26, 2022 [↩]