Della Air Lines Inc. stock (NYSE: DAL) is down 10% in the past week, strongly underperforming the S&P 500 which was down 4% over this period. If you look at the change over the last ten days and one month, too, the stock has returned -6.7% and -8.9%, performing roughly as poorly as the broader markets on both occasions. Delta’s most recent Q2 ’22 earnings, saw revenue rising from $7.13 billion in Q2 ’21 to $13.8 billion in Q2 ’22, driven primarily by a $5.6 billion rise in sales from the passenger segment. Rising fuel expenses saw operating costs nearly double over this period, but the company still reported operating income of $1.52 billion, up strongly from $816 million for Q2 ’21. Despite a rise in the effective tax rate and the outstanding share count, the company’s net earnings rose, and EPS came in higher at $1.15, compared to $1.02 in Q2 ’21.
Now, is Delta Air Lines stock set to continue its underperformance or could we expect a bounce back? We believe that there is a strong 69% chance of a rise in DAL stock over the next month (21 trading days) based on our machine learning analysis of trends in the stock price over the last ten years. See our analysis on DAL Stock Chance of Rise. For additional details about the company’s historical returns and comparison to peers, see Delta Air Lines (DAL) Stock Return.
- Are Tides Turning For Delta Air Lines Stock?
- Will Strong Passenger Demand Push Delta Air Lines Stock Higher Post-Earnings?
- Pick This Stock Over American Airlines As The Dip Ends
- Company Of The Day: Delta Airlines
- Optimism In Estee Lauder Stock A Trigger For Delta Air Lines?
- Will Q3 Earnings Trigger A Rally In Delta Air Lines Stock?
Twenty-One Day: DAL -8.9%, vs. S&P500 -9.2%; Outperformed market
(12% likelihood event; 69% probability of rise over next 21 days)
- DAL stock lost 8.9% over the last twenty-one trading days (one month), compared to a broader market (S&P500) drop of 9.2%
- A change of -8.9% or more over twenty-one trading days is a 12% likelihood event, which has occurred 299 times out of 2514 in the last 10 years
- Of these 299 instances, the stock has seen a positive movement over the next twenty-one trading days on 205 occasions
- This points to a 69% probability for the stock rising over the next twenty-one trading days
Ten Day: DAL -6.7%, vs. S&P500 -6.5%; Underperformed market
(11% likelihood event; 58% probability of rise over next 10 days)
- DAL stock lost 6.7% over the last ten trading days (two weeks), compared to a broader market (S&P500) drop of 6.5%
- A change of -6.7% or more over ten trading days is a 11% likelihood event, which has occurred 273 times out of 2516 in the last 10 years
- Of these 273 instances, the stock has seen a positive movement over the next ten trading days on 159 occasions
- This points to a 58% probability for the stock rising over the next ten trading days
Five Day: DAL -10%, vs. S&P500 -4.1%; Underperformed market
(2% likelihood event; 62% probability of rise over next five days)
- DAL stock lost 10% over a five-day trading period ending 9/22/2022, compared to the broader market (S&P500) which was down 4.1% over this period.
- A change of -10% or more over five trading days (one week) is a 2% likelihood event, which has occurred 60 times out of 2516 in the last 10 years
- Of these 60 instances, the stock has seen a positive movement over the next five trading days on 37 occasions
- This points to a 62% probability for the stock rising over the next five trading days
|S&P 500 Return||-7%||-23%||63%|
|Trefis Multi-Strategy Portfolio||-11%||-25%||196%|
 Month-to-date and year-to-date as of 9/23/2022
 Cumulative total returns since the end of 2016
Invest with Trefis Market Beating Portfolios
See all Trefis Price Estimates