Comcast (NASDAQ:CMCSA), which acquired NBCUniversal from GE (NYSE:GE) last year, has decided to sell its 15.8% stake in A&E Networks for $3.02 billion.  NBCUniversal had held this stake for a while, and according to Comcast’s latest balance sheet, this stake was valued at a little over $2 billion ($2.019 billion to be exact).  This implies that Comcast can effectively increase its value by roughly $1 billion, implying less than 2% upside to our current estimate. Although the deal may look like a big one, it doesn’t move the needle for Comcast’s stock.
A deal value of $3.02 billion and Comcast’s share of 15.8% implies that A&E Networks is currently valued at approximately $19 billion. Given that Disney (NYSE:DIS) has a stake of 42.1% in A&E Networks, the improved valuation of A&E Networks bodes well for it as well. In fact, this implies that Disney’s stake is worth $8 billion while the company recently recorded just about $2.7 billion worth of equity investments on its balance sheet. If we recognize the investment at the value indicated by the Comcast deal, there could be more than 5% upside to our price estimate for Disney.
- Here’s How Comcast Could Benefit From Bringing Its TV App To Roku
- Comcast Earnings: Growth In NBCUniversal, High-Speed Internet And Cable TV Continues To Boost Revenues
- Comcast Earnings Preview: Revenue To Grow In Q4, Albeit At A Slower Rate
- Reviewing Comcast’s Performance In 2016.
- Here’s How Comcast Could Benefit From Expanding Its Home Security Business
- Here’s How Comcast Can Benefit By Launching Dish’s Sling TV Bundles On Its X1 Set Tops
Our price estimate for Comcast stands at $32.50, roughly in-line with the market price.Notes:
- UPDATE 1-Comcast’s NBC to sell A&E Television stake for $3 bln, Reuters, July 10 2012 [↩]
- Comcast’s 10Q filing for Q1 2012 [↩]