- Services constitute 51% of the Trefis price estimate for NetApp's stock.
- Product constitutes 41% of the Trefis price estimate for NetApp's stock.
WHAT HAS CHANGED?
- Latest Earnings - Q1 2022
NetApp delivered a steady performance for Q1 '22, with total revenue increasing from $1.3 billion to $1.46 billion, boosted by rising product and services revenue. Operating margins rose strongly from 10.4% to 17.1%, due to a drop in operating expenses. Helped by a drop in the effective tax rate, EPS rose from $0.35 to $0.91, a jump of more than 2.5x.
- Strong run of acquisitions
Between April 2020 and June 2021, NetApp completed the acquisition of Spot Inc., Cloud Jumper Corp., and Data Mechanics Inc. in that order. These acquisitions will help NetApp to strengthen its position in big data and cloud analytics (via Spot and Data Mechanics), and remote and virtual desktop services (via Cloud Jumper).
POTENTIAL UPSIDE & DOWNSIDE TO TREFIS PRICE
Below are key drivers of NetApp's value that present opportunities for upside or downside to the current Trefis price estimate of NetApp:
- Products Revenue: We currently forecast NetApp's products revenue to grow at a CAGR of 3% through the end of the Trefis forecast period. However, there could be a 25% upside to the Trefis price estimate if NetApp's products revenue can grow at 8% instead. This is possible, as the next generation storage market is estimated to grow at a CAGR of over 30% till 2025, and NetApp's base will also expand.
- Netapp's Gross Margin: We currently forecast that the company's gross margin will see modest growth to around 68% in the coming years. There could be a 20% upside to the Trefis price estimate if the gross margins were to improve to 75% by the end of our forecast period.
For additional details, select a driver above or select a division from the interactive Trefis split for NetApp at the top of the page.
NetApp, Inc. is a global cloud-led, data-centric software company that provides organizations the ability to manage and share their data across on-premises, private and public clouds. They provide a full range of enterprise-class software, systems and services solutions that customers use to modernize their infrastructures, build next generation data centers, and harness the power of hybrid clouds.
SOURCES OF VALUE
NetApp Gaining Share in Storage Infrastructure Market
Over the years NetApp has witnessed an increase in its share of the storage infrastructure solutions market. Demand for NetApp's AFA and hybrid systems, which are a combination of hardware and software, has risen strongly over the past couple of years. In addition, NetApp provides hardware and software support to its clients and customer education and training services, essentially covering an exhaustive group of cloud services.
Demand for Cloud Storage Surging
The trend over the past few years has been away from hardware portable storage devices to cloud storage, and this has benefited NetApp. This trend is expected to continue as more and more enterprises switch to the cloud, pushing demand for NetApp's cloud solutions infrastructure products even higher.
Transition To Flash
There has been a sharp decline in NAND pricing over the last few quarters, and several companies are transitioning to flash-based storage devices. NetApp is benefiting from the same. As of Q4 fiscal 2021, 28% of NetApp's installed base ran all-flash arrays.