Sina (NASDAQ:SINA) announced its intentions to focus on accelerating its monetization efforts in 2012 in a bid to generate revenue from its popular online services like Weibo and others. While the plan is to achieve monetization by improving its display ad offering to attract advertisers, rumors also point toward the launch of a new social e-commerce platform by Sina, which would enable it to generate revenue through online e-commerce transactions.
Social data streams = more revenue for Sina
- Why Sina’s Revenues Will Likely See Only A Marginal Growth in 2020
- Decline In Sina’s Q3 Advertising Revenue Isn’t A Cause For Concern Yet
- Can Sina’s Revenue Growth Numbers Recover This Year?
- Sina’s Strength In Fintech Should Make Up For Weakness In Weibo Going Forward
- Sina Likely To Report Forgettable Q1 Results, But Revenues Should Recover Sharply In The Near Future
- How Much Can Chinese Stimulus Impact Sina’s Valuation?
Sina is looking for additional avenues for revenue generation. Social data provider Gnip, which is an authorized data reseller for Twitter and which also offers social data streams from WordPress, Facebook, Myspace, YouTube and other major online services, has announced that it will start providing access to data streams from Sina to customers who want it for analysis or other purposes. 
The exact pricing of the data streams hasn’t been revealed yet, but Sina is likely to get a major cut of the total sales. Gnip targets enterprises who analyze social data streams to generate insights into the psyche of online consumers using big data analysis and other techniques.
Given the booming Chinese e-commerce space and Internet population, Sina could see a significant amount of additional revenue from enterprise customers wanting to analyze data from Weibo, one of the most popular microblogging services in China with more than 300 million users. Sina competes with the likes of Baidu (NASDAQ:BIDU), Tencent, Sohu and others in the very competitive Chinese online space.
We currently have a $65 Trefis price estimate for Sina, which is in line with the market price.Notes: