Microsoft (NASDAQ:MSFT) has launched an upgrade to its cloud based storage and sync offering, SkyDrive. The update comes with integrated SkyDrive apps for Windows, a revamped web interface, and additional paid storage options which allow users to buy additional cloud storage up to 100 GB. This update came right before the Google (NASDAQ:GOOG) Drive announcement, which will compete with Microsoft’s SkyDrive, Dropbox and Apple‘s (NASDAQ:AAPL) iCloud. 
Microsoft’s SkyDrive Upgrade: Too little, too late?
- Microsoft Earnings: Revenue And EPS Miss Expectation
- Microsoft Earnings Preview: Cloud Adoption To Spur Revenues In Q3.
- What’s Microsoft’s Fundamental Value Based On 2015 Results?
- By What Percentage Can Microsoft’s Revenues And EBITDA Grow In The Next 3 Years?
- How Has Microsoft’s Revenue Composition Changed Over The Last 5 Years?
- By What Percentage Did Microsoft’s Revenue And EBITDA Increase In The Last Five Years?
Unlike Dropbox which works on every major desktop and mobile platform with integrated apps for each of them, SkyDrive was only a web-based service initially. It hasn’t been a major focus area for Microsoft, which was one of the first players in the space but has failed to gain much traction compared to Dropbox.
With this update, it has launched apps for Windows, Windows Phone, iOS and Mac, which works just like Dropbox, offering integrated storage and sync features. Microsoft may also launch SkyDrive on Android in a bid to capture a greater market share in the cloud storage space.
Google has already unveiled Google Drive with support for all major platforms, integration with Google Docs, Apps and a Google Drive API for developers. The SkyDrive update comes just in time, but it may not be enough to compete with Google Drive, which could offer better platform support and integration. We’ll see.
In the meantime, Dropbox continues to be the best cloud storage solution available to mankind.
We have a $38 Trefis price estimate for Microsoft, which stands nearly 20% above its current market price.Notes: