Google (NASDAQ:GOOG) has launched yet another update to its web search algorithm, which is expected to improve search result quality by detecting and penalizing search result spammers in a better way. The new update will decrease search rankings for sites that violate Google’s quality guidelines and use forbidden techniques like keyword stuffing, link schemes, cloaking and duplicate content to bump up their page rankings. 
While Google has been trying to detect and reverse the impact of such blackhat SEO techniques for years, the new update significantly improves its ability to do so. Once the update rolls out, Google expects to see much better search results for certain sets of queries. Google has stated that the new update will impact and improve around 3.1 percent of English queries, and possibly more in other languages.
- Here’s Why Google Is Launching An Android Training Program In India
- Will Brexit Impact Alphabet’s Revenues In The Future?
- Why The Acquisition Of WebPass Could Be Significant For Google Fiber?
- What Percentage of Alphabet’s Stock Price Can Be Attributed To Growth?
- What is the Downside To Alphabet’s Stock If Google Fails To Improve Its Share in Online Ads Market?
- Can Advertising On Google Maps Open A New Revenue Stream For The Company ?
Google competes primarily with Microsoft (NASDAQ:MSFT) Bing and upstarts like Wolfram Alpha and DuckDuckGo in the search market. It is the juggernaut of the online search space, wiping the floor with its competitors, and with constant updates like these, it aims to keep it that way.
You can check out the impact of Google’s market share in search on its overall value using this chart.
Search advertising on PC and mobile generates a major portion of Google’s overall revenue. We currently have a $680 Trefis price estimate for Google, which stands 10% above its market price.Notes:
- Google Launches Update Targeting Webspam In Search Results, Search Engine Land [↩]