While Google (NASDAQ:GOOG) doesn’t generate any significant revenue directly from Google Analytics, it uses it to provide better reporting features to search and display advertising partners, thus driving advertising revenues. It announced new social features for Google Analytics this week. 
Analytics has been focused on the search and display advertising segments traditionally, and it will now offer data for social media advertising and marketing campaigns as well. Google will add a new Social tab to Analytics, which will enable users to view Social Reports. It will offer advanced features to measure traffic and engagement metrics for visitors from social networks like Google+, Facebook , Twitter, LinkedIn etc. Google competes in the search and display advertising markets with Microsoft (NASDAQ:MSFT), Yahoo (NASDAQ:YHOO), AOL (NYSE:AOL) and Facebook.
- Alphabet Earnings Preview: Search Ads, YouTube, Google Play To Boost Revenue
- Here’s Why Google Is Launching An Android Training Program In India
- Will Brexit Impact Alphabet’s Revenues In The Future?
- Why The Acquisition Of WebPass Could Be Significant For Google Fiber?
- What Percentage of Alphabet’s Stock Price Can Be Attributed To Growth?
- What is the Downside To Alphabet’s Stock If Google Fails To Improve Its Share in Online Ads Market?
Phil Mui, Google Analytics group product manager said:
Many social measurement tools focus on social listening by monitoring keywords and buzz. While they’re helpful in many cases, these tools don’t connect the dots to show how investments in different social channels ultimately lead to sales or business objectives. Our goal with the new reports is to tie social activities and referrals to measurable, meaningful economic value so businesses can more effectively evaluate which social channels are impacting their bottom line, and which tactics will lead to measurable economic value.
With Social Reports in Google Analytics, users can measure engagement, conversion and traffic metrics from social channels, tie them to actions, and optimize their content for better monetization of social users using visual reports. It will also show statistics related to social sharing, comments and likes for content posted on supported social platforms.
Analytics is primarily used by Google to drive its display and search advertising partnerships which account for nearly 8% of its total value. We currently have a $627 Trefis price estimate for Google, which stands nearly 2% below its market price.Notes:
- Google Analytics Launches New Social Reports To Measure Social ROI, Marketing Land [↩]