Starbucks (NASDAQ:SBUX) recently announced that it will start selling single serve K-cups coffee pods for Green Mountain Coffee Roasters’ (NASDAQ:GMCR) Keurig brewers beginning June 12. We consider this a positive development for GMCR as it will further strengthen its retail presence within the U.S. and boost its sales.
Starbucks has received an impressive increase for its branded K-cups sales volume, shipping more than 230 million units in just five months since the product launch.  Starbucks has been selling its branded K-Cups through other retailers since November. Now it intends to leverage its own retail presence to sell its K-Cups.
According to a company representative, Starbucks will sell K-Cups of one medium and one dark-roast blend in 12-count packs for $11.95.  In March, Starbucks announced its plan to launch Verismo, a single-serve espresso brewer, by the end of this year. This announcement led to more than 15% drop in GMCR’s stock price. (See our previous post: Starbucks, Wal-Mart Rain on Green Mountain’s Parade with Single-Serve Coffee Plans)
It is yet to be seen what would be the likely impact of Starbucks’ interest in the single-serve coffee segment. The recent development is a positive for GMCR as the partnership with Starbucks lends it a stronger presence and more customers within the US.
However, it is too early to comment on Starbucks’ interest in this association. The possibility of Starbucks entering as an independent player in this market and leveraging its presence and customer-base cannot be completely ruled out. It seems the company is testing the waters before entering this market on a larger scale.
We have a price estimate of $45 for Green Mountain Coffee Roasters, implying a premium to the current market price.
- Scenarios That Can Impact Keurig Green Mountain’s Stock
- Scenario: Is This The Stagnation Stage For Keurig Brewers?
- Dull Keurig 2.0 Launch & Brewer Recalls Hamper Keurig’s Revenue Growth In Q1
- New Brewer Platforms To Drive Keurig Green Mountain’s Growth In 2015
- Dr Pepper Snapple- New Addition To Keurig Green Mountain’s Arsenal
- The Year 2014 In Review: Keurig Green Mountain
- See: Starbucks K-Cup Single-Serve Pods Could Be in Cafes as Early as Next Week, Fox Business [↩]
- See: Starbucks Stores to Start Selling K-Cup Single-Serve Pods, WSJ [↩]