EMC‘s (NYSE:EMC) Captiva Cloud toolkit, an innovative solution for web-based scanning, has gained traction among hardware manufacturers and software developers, according to the company. The EMC Captiva Cloud Toolkit is a software developer kit (SDK) that helps web application developers add scanning and imaging functionality to their web-based business applications. It is ideal for document capture vendors and software developers who want to create applications that are fully scan-enabled.
The product eliminates limitations such as browser compatibility and the need for plug-ins, thereby simplifying the development process. EMC released this toolkit in the end of 2011 and scanner manufacturers are quickly taking to the service. The main value add of the toolkit is that it reduces the cost of supporting distributed capture applications as it simplifies the development process and supports a wide range of platforms. 
Major scanner and multi functionality printer (MFP) manufacturers are shipping scanners developed using this platform. Some of the company’s major clients are Avision, Brother, Canon, Epson, Fujitsu, HP, Kodak, Panasonic, Plustek and Visioneer.
- EMC Earnings: Information Infrastructure Business Continues To Stumble As Dell Merger Edges Closer
- EMC Earnings Preview: VMware, Pivotal To Drive Results As Storage Business Remains Depressed
- Storage Notes: NetApp, HP, IBM Not Really Impacted By Dell-EMC Deal
- EMC Q3 Earnings: Core Storage Stagnates, VMware Still Drives Growth
- EMC Earnings Preview: Focus On What Lies Ahead Post-Dell Takeover
- Dell Buys EMC In A Mammoth $67 Billion Deal, VMware To Remain Public
Captiva Cloud is part of the content management business which constitutes around 5% of EMC’s stock price, by our estimates, and if license revenues due to the growth in Captiva doubles from our current estimate of ~$450 million to $1 billion, we can expect an upside of ~5% to our current price estimate.
We have a $52 Trefis price estimate for EMC, which is significantly higher than the current market price.Notes:
- EMC Captiva Cloud Toolkit Transforms Web Based Scanning, www.marketwatch.com, July 2012 [↩]