Even as the risk of rail workers strike is averted, a wage rate settlement between the union workers and rail freight carriers may be delayed until February next year. The Brotherhood of Maintenance of Way Employees (BMWE) union, which represents 19% of workers bargaining for wage increase, has reported that it will extend negotiations ‘at least’ through February next year, two months past the Presidential Emergency Board’s (PEB) 30-day settlement period that ends on December 6.  The union will try to push for extending travel expense coverage by companies during this period, even as it is ready to accept wage and health care norms recommended by PEB. BMWE has confirmed that it will not go on a strike, which could adversely affect operations of various railroads such as CSX Corporation (NYSE:CSX), Union Pacific Corporation (NYSE:UNP), and Norfolk Southern Corporation (NYSE:NSC).
The freight carriers were able to reach a deal with a total of 10 workers’ unions, representing around 60% of the 132,000 workers negotiating wages.  Now, only three labor unions – BMWE, American Train Dispatchers Association and the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers and Trainmen – are left to come to a conclusion with the rail companies.
- CSX’s Q2 2016 Earnings Review: Lower Shipment Volumes And Fuel Surcharge Revenue Negatively Impact Results
- How Do Union Pacific, Norfolk Southern, And CSX Compare In Terms Of Efficiency Of Their Rail Networks?
- CSX’s Q2 2016 Earnings Preview: Lower Shipment Volumes And Fuel Surcharge Revenue To Adversely Impact Results
- Which Are The Prominent Growth Areas For Rail Companies This Year?
- Why Did CSX’s Metals Shipments Decline In Q1?
- How Have U.S. Rail Coal Shipments Been Impacted By Weak Natural Gas Prices?
A strike by rail workers would have stalled the operations of railroads, costing the economy over a billion dollars. The speedy settlements by rail companies have helped preserve customer confidence, as shippers continued business with railroads, instead of shifting to trucks.
We have $34 as the price estimate for CSX, which is around 65% ahead of the current market price.Notes: