Costco (NASDAQ:COST), the world’s largest warehouse chain, is working toward strengthening its online presence. According to reports, it is planning to launch mobile applications for Apple and Android products this month. This would enable it to tap the growing market of smartphone users who rely on the online medium for most of their purchases. At present, Costco’s online sales are about $2 billion, representing approximately 2% of its total sales. 
We currently maintain a $91.25 price estimate for Costco’s stock, implying a 10% premium to the market price.
- Costco Q4 Earnings: What To Expect?
- What Conclusions Can Be Drawn From Costco’s August Comparable Sales?
- What is Costco’s Fundamental Value Based On Expected 2016 Results?
- By How Much Will Costco’s Revenue & EBITDA Grow In The Next Five Years?
- How Is Costco’s Revenue Composition Trending?
- How Much Is Costco’s Revenue And Gross Profit Expected To Change In The Next Five Years?
Brick and Mortar Retailers Focusing on Online Growth
According to Internet Retailer, Amazon (NASDAQ:AMZN) dominates the online retail market maintaining its leading position. Other brick and mortar retailers such as Wal-Mart (NYSE:WMT) and Costco rank 4th and 17th, respectively.  Online sales are expected to witness an impressive growth over the coming years with increasing penetration of Internet and smartphones. According to research firm Forrester, the U.S. online sales are expected to reach approximately $279 billion by 2015 from $199 billion in 2011. 
- Wal-Mart is trying to build its online presence by acquiring social media companies. It recently launched a more advanced search engine that focuses on related words and phrases that people use for searching products, rather than the exact matches as per the product listings. 
- Target (NYSE:TGT) is working at creating a platform that would integrate its stores, online mobile platforms and social media. It has also decided to phase out Amazon’s Kindle at its stores and on its website.
At present, the online retail market is undergoing swift changes due to rapid changes in technology. Therefore, it surely is a wise strategy for Costco to invest its resources in solidifying its online presence by following the path of its competitors.Notes: