Video gaming giant Activision Blizzard (NASDAQ:ATVI) is bringing its hit mobile game Skylanders Cloud Patrol on Amazon’s (NASDAQ:AMZN) newly-released Kindle Fire HD, alongside the first-generation Kindle Fire.  Skylanders Cloud Patrol, which is currently available on Apple’s (NASDAQ:AAPL) iOS devices, will be available on Kindle devices at a launch price of $0.99..
We believe the move signifies Activision’s increased focus on tablet gaming, a market estimated to hit $3.1 billion by the end of 2014.  Activision competes with other game developers like Electronic Arts (NASDAQ:EA), Take-Two Interactive Software (NASDAQ:TTWO) and casual gaming mainstays such as Zynga (NASDAQ:ZNGA).
- Activision Blizzard’s Console Market Share Witnessed A Decline In 2015; Digital Channels Provide Respite
- Where Will Activision Blizzard’s Revenue And Gross Profit Growth Come From Over The Next Three Years?
- How Has Activision Blizzard’s Revenue And EBITDA Composition Changed Over 2011-2015?
- By What Percentage Have Activision Blizzard’s Revenues And EBITDA Grown Over The Last Five Years?
- What’s Activision Blizzard’s Fundamental Value Based On Expected 2016 Results?
- What Is Activision Blizzard’s Revenue & EBITDA Breakdown?
Skylanders Cloud Patrol for Kindle Fire HD signifies Activision’s growing interests in tablet-gaming
Activision’s latest move of bringing Skylanders Cloud Patrol on Kindle Fire HD shows the publisher’s increasing interests in tablet gaming, and the growing clout of tablets in the video-gaming landscape. Tablet gaming was one of the major hot topics in this year’s E3 conference, and with the gaming industry quickly moving from retail towards digital, Tablets are expected to emerge as a significant platform for video-gamers.
As Amazon’s Kindle devices constitute a 22% market share in the U.S. tablet markets, an increasing number of video-game publishers, including Activision, are putting their weight behind the new Kindle HD. Unlike Skylander’s iOS version, Kindle Fire version will have an exclusive feature where players will be able to purchase toys from within the Skylanders Cloud Patrol game app, with just the push of a button. The logged in Kindle Fire user can buy the physical toy via an in-app purchase, and unlock the digital character via Amazon’s 1-click purchasing.Notes:
- Activision brings Skylanders Cloud Patrol on Kindle Fire HD, Source: Activision Blizzard’s IR [↩]
- Tablet gaming to hit $3.1 billion by 2014, Source: Venture Beat [↩]