According to a report, Apple (NASDAQ:AAPL) could launch iPad mini and iPad 3 next year.  However, these reports are conflicting with respect to timing and the specifications of these devices. One report suggests that suppliers are already shipping panels for iPad 3 in millions. Another report suggests that Apple will launch iPad mini early next year and the more powerful iPad 3 by second quarter of 2012. 
We believe that irrespective of the specifications and timings, Apple will continue to dominate the tablet market despite competition from the likes of Amazon (NASDAQ:AMZN), Research In Motion (NASDAQ:RIMM) and HP (NYSE:HPQ) in the tablet market. iPad accounts for around 12% of our $500 price estimate for Apple stock, and our price estimate is about 30% above market price.
- Why Did Apple Fare Better Than The Broader Market Following The Brexit?
- iPhone Unlikely To See Meaningful Update This Year, How Will This Impact Apple?
- Sizing Up Apple’s Chinese Business As Regulatory Issues Mount
- Can Apple Really Count On India To Drive Its Next Wave Of Growth?
- Why Is Apple’s Cash Conversion Cycle Significantly Shorter Than Samsung’s?
- Why Are Apple’s Japanese Margins The Highest Among Its Geographic Segments?
iPad mini to compete in the lower priced tablet segment
Recently, companies have introduced lower priced tablets to compete with Apple in the tablet market. Amazon introduced a $199 tablet named Kindle Fire while RIM also slashed its basic tablet pricing to $199 a few days back. This $200 tablet price point has become a different segment altogether in which Apple would like to compete. iPad mini might be introduced by Apple keeping this in mind.
iPad 3 to be more powerful iPad?
We believe the iPad 3 will be a high performance iPad with some attractive features such as voice recognition service Siri, presently an important feature of iPhone 4S. The new iPad might also have high resolution screen as suggested by a few reports.  Though unconfirmed, both the iPad mini and iPad 3 could ensure that Apple’s dominance in the tablet market will continue and could provide a trigger for Apple’s stock are more information emerges.Notes:
- iPad 3 displays reportedly shipping in volume, but what about Apple’s iPad mini?, BGR, November 18th, 2011 [↩] [↩]
- iPad 3 with high-res display is definitely happening, analyst says, BGR, November 22nd, 2011 [↩]