Trefis's graphical modelling tools require Flash, but here's a preview of some of the content you'll see once
Flash is enabled:
Below are key drivers of UnitedHealth Group's value that present opportunities for upside or downside to the Trefis price estimate for the company's stock:
Business Growth In Optum Division: Revenue from Optum division has increased almost 200% since 2010. Of the three segments within the Optum division, Optum Rx- pharmacy benefits management business, has exhibited a robust growth trend. By the end of Trefis forecast period we expect Optum Rx to more than double in revenues at about $105 billion, supported by an increasing trend of pharmacy benefits management services being adopted throughout the U.S. If the division is able to post strong sales growth of 10-12% annually across the three segments there is a 5% upside to the Trefis price estimate.
UnitedHealth Group ("UNH") is the largest health insurance company in the United States. Through its UnitedHealthcare and Optum subsidiaries, the company serves about 51 million and 115 million customers, respectively, throughout the United States and Brazil.
Its UnitedHealthcare insurance subsidiary operates in four primary divisions:
- UnitedHealthcare Employment and Individual (Private Insurance): Provides healthcare to individuals and family members and also to employers who take care of their employees' health benefits.
- UnitedHealthcare Community and State (Medicaid): Provides Medicaid managed care solutions to economically disadvantaged or medically underserved individuals.
- UnitedHealthcare Medicare and Retirement: Provides government-run Medicare healthcare services primarily to AARP members and individuals aged 65 or older.
- UnitedHealthcare International: Provides private healthcare services to individuals as well as corporates primarily in Brazil.
The company's Optum subsidiary operates in three primary divisions:
- OptumHealth: Provides a range of specialized health and wellness services to its customers such as mental health and substance abuse treatment and counseling.
- OptumInsight: The consulting division of United Health Group, providing business process outsourcing, advisory and data processing services to its clients.
- OptumRx: A pharmacy benefits management business which processes prescription drugs for its customers and helps them get drugs at reduced costs.
UnitedHealthcare Employment and Individual is the most valuable business for UnitedHealth Group primarily due to its market leadership position. We expect this business to grow steadily in the future as a result of greater nationwide health insurance coverage as well as its dominant position in the market. However, we expect even more rapid growth in the Medicaid business as a result of the following factors:
Increase in total Medicaid enrollments:
Following the implementation of the PPACA there has been a significant expansion in Medicaid availability as the eligibility requirements were relaxed. Under the new criteria, individuals under 65 with income of up to 133% of the existing poverty line are be able to obtain health benefits from state-run Medicaid programs. According to projections from the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) nearly 66 million additional Americans will be eligible for Medicaid by 2023. Given UnitedHealth Group's market leadership position and its existing footprint within the Medicaid managed care market, we expect that it will be able to capitalize on this secular trend and increase its enrollments substantially.
Implementation of Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA):
The PPACA, colloquially known as "Obamacare," is a healthcare reform bill passed into law in 2010. The purpose of the law is to reduce healthcare costs and expand healthcare coverage among Americans. It includes an individual mandate, which penalizes individuals who can afford health insurance but choose not to purchase it. It also expands the availability of Medicaid, restricts the ability of insurers to refuse service to customers with pre-existing conditions, will introduce health insurance exchanges in order to encourage competition in the market, and will regulate premiums and medical care ratios (medical costs/premiums) of health insurers. In the second open enrollment period 11.4 million customers purchased health insurance on health insurance exchanges. According to government estimates, 25 million Americans will participate on these exchanges by 2017 and we expect that UnitedHealth Group will benefit significantly from the increase in enrollments.
Economic growth will stimulate growth
Private health insurance enrollments have been stagnant over the past few years due to persistently high unemployment and weak macroeconomic conditions. As unemployment falls, the number of employer-sponsored health insurance enrollments will pick up, even as Medicaid enrollments will continue to grow steadily. As economic conditions further improves we expect employer-sponsored health coverage to increase, as well as the quality of those plans (which will in turn bring higher premiums).
UnitedHealth acquired Amil Participacoes SA, Brazil's largest health insurer with over 5 million customers, for $4.9 billion in 2012. The deal allowed the company to expand its footprint outside of the U.S. and capitalize on growth from Latin America. UnitedHealth currently serves over 4 million international customers.
How Does Trefis Modelling Work?
How do we get the historical numbers for this chart?
Trefis has a team of in-house Analysts who gather historical data from company filings and other verifiable sources. When historicals are available, we explain how we got them at the bottom of the Trefis analysis section below.
Who came up with the Trefis forecast for future years?
The Trefis team of in-house Analysts considers a variety of factors when projecting any forecast. The rationale for our projections is explained in the Trefis analysis section below.
How does my dragging the trendline on the chart impact the stock price?
See more on: DCF Methodology
- We use forecasts for business drivers to calculate forecasted Revenues and Profits for each division of the company.
- We then use forecasted Profits in a Discounted Cash Flow (DCF) model to obtain the Price Estimate for the company.
View All Help Topics